CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 12, 2013

Iowa?!

So I know it's been a while since I blogged and I'm sorry about that but I have been traveling like a madwoman and sadly I don't have a ton of 'Graham news' to update you on because I haven't had to pleasure of spending as much time with him as I would like.
However, there is good news.  I've been away but it's because I've had amazing opportunities and what I'd consider to be life changing experiences.  I was asked by our Director of Conservation to attend ZACC which stands for Zoos and Aquariums Committing to Conservation....in Des Moines, Iowa.  Well, I was pretty stoked until I heard the location and then I lost some enthusiasm.  I have to admit that leading up to the conference I was not thrilled and considered it to be another thing I could just check off my 'to do' list.....bbbbuuutttt (there's always a big but) who knew it would take me coming to the heartland to have such an inspiring, network, brainstorming, motivating and life changing week?!
I feel like I could create an entire blog site just on what I learned and the partnerships and friendships formed over the last 5 days.  I would like to share my experiences with you but I honestly need a little time to absorb everything and debrief, gather my thoughts, organize my priorities and then share with you about the researchers I met, species I was introduced to and ideas of ways that I hope to make to help and even more, hope to inspire others to help too!  (yes, that's you!)

In the meantime, here's a cute pic of me and my new Bestie, Barnaby.  He's a 90 year old giant Aldabra tortoise.  About 400 lbs and such a big sweet ham!  He stole my heart.
 
 
I'm so excited to get home and teach Graham about the things I learned and take the next step in raising him to be a compassionate, environmentally conscious, little guy who genuinely loves the environment (he's already such a huge fan of animals and playing outside which makes me the most proud Mommy in the world).  I know that the inspiring speakers I heard this week had to be raised by and around people that didn't just sit and watch TV or play video games, but the kind that went out and planted trees and explored trails.  I've always thought this way but more than ever before, I challenge everyone to do this.  Grab a field guide and ID stuff in your area, recycle your trash (it's not that hard, I don't want to hear it!) and consider supporting a local environmental non-profit (that's how some of use have jobs...clears throat).  You might not change the world alone, but you might challenge others to act and that's a step in the right direction.  More soon...I don't want to overwhelm you!!  :) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment